There is nothing like walking into a room when you have powerful and sculpted legs. Here is a great workout to keep your butt lifted, your quads strong and your hamstrings singing with delight.The best way to turn your body into a fat burning machine is to strengthen the largest muscle groups within the body, which are all conveniently found in the legs. With strong legs your metabolism will be running on optimal performance and you can burn fat anywhere, anytime.
To optimize your leg strength, implement daily squatting practice while you brush your teeth 50 squats in the morning and 50 squats at night. Next, at least 2 times a week use leg focused cardio exercise (eg. Running, Biking, Hiking etc) to warm up those muscle groups. Lastly, include at least 2 leg strengthening workouts per week. You can use all of the leg machines at your local gym, or get creative and make your own leg strengthening routine.
Below you will find a simple yet highly effective leg strengthening workout for your muscle burning pleasure.
30 Prisoner Squats
- Place your hands behind your ears and stand with your feet wide, slightly larger than hip width apart.
- Keep your knees behind your toes as you slowly lower your rear towards the ground – stop when you reach a low squat position.
- Then use your upper leg strength to push through your heels and propel yourself upwards to jump, then return back down into squatted position and repeat.
- If this exercise is too easy for you, try wearing a weighted belt for extra resistance.
30 Spider Legs
- Get down on the ground into a Downward Dog position with your feet more than hip width apart and your butt high in the air.
- Proceed to slowly raise your left leg up to the sky and then lower the left leg back down as you bend your left knee into the chest and aim to land your left foot beside your right hand.
- Repeat with the right foot, raising your leg up to the sky and then bringing it back down underneath the body to touch the ground beside your left hand. This is one repetition.
- Make sure to breath deeply and keep your upper body strong during the leg swing.
1 Minute Skip Rope + 5 Single Leg Dead Lift (Each side)
After you jump rope for 1 minute, grab a weighted object (watermelons work great) and begin your single leg dead lift.
- Stand on one leg and while you hold the watermelon or weighted object (tight!) start to bend forward. Your lifted leg can stay bent or hold it straight out behind you.
- Try to lightly touch the watermelon or weighted object to the floor, then use your leg strength to lift you back up into one legged standing position.
- Repeat 5 times, jump rope again for 1 minute then switch to the opposite leg lifting side.
30 Stationary Frog Jumps
This workout is not only killer on the legs, it also works the core muscles to the bone.
- Start in forward bend pose however, put your hands on the ground (shoulder length apart) and place your feet beside the exterior of each hand. The most important warning for this move is to avoid jumping on your fingers.
- Bend your legs even more then jump them backwards into plank position.
- Once you obtain balance jump back up to wide leg forward bend.
- This is a simple alteration of the age old frog jumps, and jet it is amazing for strength training the leg muscles.
By the time you are complete this leg workout for the first time you may be wondering if you can walk again. But have no fear, after a few run throughs in a week, you will be kicking butt flab with this routine – literally.
A Long and Lean Legs Workout
A simple yet highly effective leg strengthening workout for your muscle burning pleasure.
5-10 minute warm up of your choice
Your Usual Cool Down & Stretching Routine