If I was given a dollar every time someone said to me that they wanted a flat stomach then I’d be richer than Warren Buffett. Since this is a very popular topic and desire for so many women and even men here are some exercises you can do to achieve the flat stomach you desire.
Before we go there and get down and dirty with these core moves lets talk about what goes hand in hand with these exercises; healthy eating. Or diet if you will – not a fan of the word diet, but it’s popular so lets use it.
Many people think that working and focusing on their core will help them achieve the flat stomach they desire. Even though that helps, focusing solely on the core will not help you get what you desire. You must first make sure you eat a healthy balance of fruits, vegetables, carbohydrates and fats. Yes, eating fats is healthy, with balance. Grape seed, peanut oils in moderation are not bad for you. Also foods like avocados and peanuts have healthy fats that the body needs.
On top of eating healthy, cutting back on your salt and sugar consumption is key along side a steady cardio regimen. There is a layer of fat on top of the abs that you want to expose. They will remain hidden unless you eat healthy AND get those cardio sessions in. You can run, do an aerobics class or even dance. Keeping these two points in mind: healthy eating and cardio will help you reveal the abs that are hidden underneath the layer of fat.
Doing these 9 moves will help to add definition to your abs. The great thing is you can do these anywhere; gym or at home because no equipment is necessary, happy sculpting!
- Forearms and toes on the floor.
- Keep torso straight keeping body in a straight line.
- Your head should be relaxed and core should be engaged.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds then repeat two more times.
- Over time add a leg lift or more time to the hold.
- Lie on your back keeping shoulders and lower back on the ground and knees bent at 90 degrees feet flat on the ground.
- Using lower abs and keeping lower back planted on the ground lift feet off the ground pulling knees towards your chest.
- Lower feet back towards the ground back to starting position.
- Lay flat on the ground arms stretched out by ears.
- Lift arms and legs while keeping belly button touching the ground, squeeze butt, legs and shoulders each time you lift.
- Lower arms and legs simultaneously to start position. Repeat
- Just like in the reverse crunches position lay on your back. Place hands down by your side palms facing down. But bring both legs up straight into the air. Toes pointing to the sky.
- Use your lower abs and lift your lower back and butt slightly off the ground, then lower and repeat.
Spiderman Push up
- Assume the standard pushup position. As you lower your body toward the floor, lift your right foot off the floor, swing your right leg out sideways, and try to touch your knee to your elbow.
- Reverse the movement, then push your body back to the starting position. Repeat, but on your next repetition, touch your left knee to your left elbow. Continue to alternate back and forth.
Jack Knife Sit Ups
- Lie flat on your back with your legs straight.
- Extend your arms straight back behind your head.
- Exhale and as you do so, raise both your arms and legs to meet at the top of the jackknife position. At the peak of this step, you should be balancing only on your bottom. Your legs should be straight at about a 35-45˚ angle from the floor and your arms should be parallel to your legs.
- Inhale and lower legs and arms to starting position. Repeat.
Lie flat on the floor with your lower back pressed to the ground and contract your core muscles. With your hands gently holding your head, lift your knees to about a 45-degree angle.
Go through a bicycle pedal motion. Alternately touching your elbows to the opposite knees as you twist back and forth. Breath evenly throughout the exercise.
Pushup to Shoulder Tap
- Assume the standard pushup position. Lower your body down trying to get chest to touch the ground. Push yourself back up to start position.
- Use right hand and touch left shoulder, then do another push up. Then touch right shoulder with left hand. Repeat.
Opposite Arm and Leg Raise
- Get down on all fours.
- Extend right arm straight out by head and left leg back behind you keeping core engaged and hips straight.
- Bring both arm and leg back to start position then extend left arm and right leg. That’s 1 rep. Repeat.