It’s finally spring here in Argentina, and colors are finally starting to pop up everywhere – as the season’s new fashion hanging in the shop windows, as flowers blooming in the trees, and as the sky tone slowly takes on brighter, yellower hues. Everywhere I go, I see vibrant, happy colors. And it makes me giddy with joy.
Perhaps where you are, it’s fall instead of spring, and auburn-leafed trees line the pathway, and in that case, try to enjoy the gorgeous tones of reds and browns and yellows.
Since my mood is easily influenced by the colors I see, this need for bright and joyous colors has also found its way into my cooking style.
It’s probably no secret that I intentionally cook with popping colors that whet the appetite – anyone who has had a glimpse of what I cook [(http://dishbydish.net)](http://dishbydish.net/) can attest easily to that. Today, whether you’re still adjusting to the cooler evenings in autumn, or whether you’re comfortable in the longer spring days, I want to bring you a recipe that will brighten up your day and table.
Ever felt like you just wanted a quick snack that is both easy to cook, pleasing to the eye, filling and savory, yet healthy all at once? While that may sound like a lot to ask for, it’s actually possible, my dear friends.
Don’t believe me? Follow me and let’s see..
You begin with clean, fresh button mushrooms, slicing them as thinly as possible. Next comes the browning of the mushrooms, which should be arranged in one single layer and then left to sauté in a pan with just a bit of olive oil. Once you smell the fragrance of mushrooms cooking and see that the bottom side has turned a beautiful golden brown, flip them over one by one until the other side has also browned, then remove them from the pan and set them aside.
Without having to wash the pan you just used, add in fresh spinach leaves and a little bit of water, letting them cook until their leaves are just a tad wilted, before draining the spinach of the water. With that done, you can start pre-heating the oven, and grease a muffin mold.
In the meantime, as your trusty oven heats up, all you have left to do is very simple. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sautéed mushrooms, cooked spinach leaves, shredded cheese, beaten eggs, whipping cream, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix them all together very well, until you get a homogeneous mixture.
Once all the ingredients have been evenly distributed, pour the mixture into the previously-greased muffin mold, dividing the mixture evenly. Pop the muffin mold into the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
There you go! Healthy, colorful and easy mushroom spinach quiche cups to satisfy your hunger!
I told you it was possible, didn’t I? Enjoy your meal!
A quick snack that is both easy to cook, pleasing to the eye, filling and savory, yet healthy all at once.
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil (for cooking the mushrooms)
- 300g of fresh spinach
- 4 eggs (or 5 if they yolks are small)
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (I used a mix of mozzarella & cheddar, but you can use whichever you fancy)
- 200g of fresh button mushrooms (sliced thinly)
- 1-2 tablespoons of whipping cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup of water
- Slice the mushrooms thinly, and remove the spinach leaves from the stems, washing them thoroughly.
- Heat up a little olive oil in a frying pan/skillet, and sauté the mushrooms in the pan on low-medium heat until brown and cooked (around 5-6 minutes), then remove the mushrooms from pan.
- In the same pan, add in the spinach leaves and 3/4 cup of water, and cook until leaves are wilted (about 3-4 minutes), then drain the water from the spinach.
- Pre-heat oven till 190 deg Cel (or 375 deg Fahrenheit).
- Mix sautéed mushrooms, cooked spinach leaves, shredded cheese, eggs, whipping cream, salt & pepper in a bowl until the ingredients are homogenously distributed.
- In a greased muffin mould (I used a silicon mould for 12 muffins), pour filling until it just reaches the top of each mould.
- Bake in oven for 20 -25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in comes out clean.