If you were to think back on your childhood, and had to name a snack or sweet treat that took you straight down memory lane, what would that be? For me, there are various contenders in this competition, but one treat that would always stand out in my mind will be strawberry thumbprint cookies.
Yes, I know, they aren’t fancy but the combination of a crispy cookie base and the sweet strawberry jam topping is enough to make me feel just like I did as a little girl, devouring the packets of thumbprint cookies my mum used to bring home.
I absolutely adored the fact that the cookies came with a tiny little well of delicious red jam – it was a very novel concept to my child’s mind – it was just like a cookie and dessert rolled all in one!
When I later grew up, the cookies somehow faded into memory, but every once in a while, I would be struck by a wave of nostalgia, and found myself wishing I could recreate those cookies from my distant childhood – and to taste their goodness once again.
So you can imagine how glad I was to be able to test out a grain-free version of these cookies! I was ecstatic! Over the top! Whatever you wish to call it, I was happy.
Best of all, it’s a recipe so simple you’ll be laughing your way to the oven!
You begin by getting your ingredients ready (what professional chefs call the “mise-en-place”). Once the ingredients, including almond meal, coconut oil, honey, vanilla extract, salt and jam have been measured out, you can begin by pre-heating the oven to 350 deg Fahrenheit (180 deg Celcius), and then lining a baking sheet with either baking paper or a silpat.
Next up, grab a medium bowl, and place the coconut oil, honey, and vanilla extract in it, then cream the ingredients together until as smooth as possible. Sift in the almond meal and a pinch of salt, and with the help of a wooden spoon, stir the mixture together until dough is well incorporated.
Now comes the fun part –start scooping tablespoons of dough, then roll them between your lightly-greased palms until you get smooth balls of even sizes. Place the balls on the baking tray, leaving around two fingers’ worth of spacing between each ball, and then use your thumb to create a little well in middle of each of the balls. Fill that well with a tiny teaspoon of strawberry jam – or any jam of your choice (it could be raspberry jam, blueberry jam, or orange marmalade – anything goes).
Once that’s done, all you need to do is to bake the cookies for around 10 to 15 minutes until they have turned lightly golden. Be patient when you remove the cookies from the oven – it may be tempting to eat them on the spot, but it’s best to let them cool completely before eating.
I hope you enjoy these little babies as much I do…!
A recipe so simple you’ll be laughing your way to the oven!
- 2 cups of almond flour/ almond meal
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup of honey, liquefied
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup of strawberry jam (or any other jam of your choice)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 deg Fahrenheit (180 deg Cel)
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper or a silpat
- In a medium bowl, cream together the coconut oil, honey, pure vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add in the almond flour/ almond meal and salt, and then gently stir until dough is well incorporated.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop even amounts of the dough and roll the dough with the palms of your hands to get smooth balls.
- Place the balls onto the lined baking sheet, leaving about 2 fingers of spacing between them.
- Use your thumb to make a well in the middle of each of the balls.
- Fill the well of each cookie with around 1 teaspoon of jam.
- Bake for around 10 - 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
Makes 15 cookies
Comments are closed.