Belonging to a gym is great, you get the motivation from other gym goers and the camaraderie. But getting to the gym is easier said than done for most. By the time you get off work and take care of the family what do you have left for the gym?
Before you cancel your membership and write off healthy living altogether, just know that you can stay fit in the comfort of your own home. Here are some exercises that will help you tone, burn fat and keep your heart rate up.
- Lie on your stomach face down arms extended in front of you.
- Raise your arms and legs at the same time and also squeeze your glutes.
- Then lower both arms and legs down to start position.
- Start standing up straight with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Lower yourself in a squat position, engage your core, then boom, explode up in the air then land back in the squat position.
Starting in the same position as the jump squat, only this time when you jump up you bring your knees up towards your chest.
You don’t need skates for this move, just mimic the motion to get a great agility workout.
- Stand straight up, then jump to the right landing on the right foot.
- Then push off the right foot and jump explosively to the left.
This move everyone loves to hate.
- Start in a standing position.
- Jump down into a plank position,
- Pop back up and jump into the air and repeat.
Expect to get your heart pumping and strengthen your body all around.
Draw an imaginary line then jump over that line from side to side repeatedly.
Isometric Chest Squeezes
Have you ever thought of doing a chest exercise without weights?
To do this exercise clasp your hands together and push them together as hard as you can for at least 15 seconds while flexing your pec muscles the entire time.
Get down in the plank position. Bring one knee towards your chest and as you extend it straight back bring the opposite knee to your chest.
- Lie on your right side with your knees together, then prop your body up on your right elbow.
- Raise your hips until your body forms a straight line and hold for 30 seconds, then switch sides.
- Standing up straight, step forward with your right foot, maintain balance without wobbling.
- Place and keep all your weight on the heel of your right lead food. Make sure your knees don’t over extend over your toes.
- Lower your body until your thigh is parallel with the floor. Bend at your hips keeping your back straight.
- Then push off with your lead leg and go back to the starting position.
The workouts above are plyometric exercises that you can do anywhere: home, work, in a hotel while you are traveling. Do 2-3 rounds of these moves for a total body, high intensity workout.