Gym rats are the people you see at the gym ALL the time. It’s like whenever you step into the gym, they’re there. When you leave, they’re there. That day you stepped in at 3:00am (because it’s a 24 hour gym) and it was completely empty (yes! no one using the machines), except… they were there!
You’re beginning to wonder if they’re stalking you. Or even worse, maybe you’re beginning to think the gym rat could be YOU!
Listen: the gym is a great place to get fit, but it’s no place to live.
Think you may be a gym rat? Here’s how to know for sure…
Disclaimer: this article is meant to be fun, we’ve got nothing but love for gym rats of every shape, size and persuasion.
The Essential Checklist For Gym Rat Diagnosis (Rattus Gymnasium)
- You know the names of ALL the staff.
- They all know YOUR name.
- Rest days? I don’t need no stinking rest days!
- More workout clothes than regular clothes.
- Taken EVERY class more than 5 times.
- Get your post delivered to the gym – you’re there most of the time.
- Designated parking spot (with your name).
- If you haven’t been to the gym in 24 hours you get cranky.
- You have a favorite treadmill (you’ve named it).
- Your fashion: gym chic.
- You miss social events to go to the gym (all of them).
- People call the gym to speak with you.
- You have an assigned locker.
- You know the gym staff’s schedule.
- People think you work there (they’ve started asking you for advice).
- And you love it.
- You’re late for work because your were working out. Totally worth it.
- Everyone knows your gym schedule.
- You get cranky if someone is using the squat rack during YOUR time (don’t they know today is my leg day?!)
Now it’s perfectly okay to be a gym rat. Look, you’ve got to do what you love to do – just be you! Having said that, there are two types of gym rat, and you’ve got to decide which one you’d rather be:
The type that is always at the gym, BUT you can see that their time is very well spent because they’ve got the results to back it up: an incredible body.
The type that doesn’t.
I know which I’d rather be!
If you’ve determined that you are in fact a gym rat, never fear, all is not lost. With just a few simple steps you can ease it back from gym rat to… gym cat (is that a thing?)
Easy Steps to Stop Being a Gym Rat
- Rest days. Use them. (Seriously, use them, they’re good for you).
- Buddy up with a non gym rat. (Give it an hour, that’s when the complaining kicks in).
- Car pool (It only takes walking home once to cure you of gym rat-ism)
- Use this.
- Make other plans, so you have to be out of the gym by that time. (Getting married works well for this. Sometimes.)
- Get a hobby. Something relaxing. Powerlifting + Meditating = Power-tating.
- Only go on certain days. No, not like every day ending in the word ‘day’.
And if all that seems like too much work, and just not you, then just embrace your gym rat nature, but remember: make it count!
Comments are closed.